The 2018 MSEF Region V Upper Fair will be held at the Humphrey Coliseum at Mississippi State University on February 20, 2018.
To participate in the Upper Fair, schools must register then students must complete necessary paperwork outlined in the following steps and forms. If you want to participate but your school does not host a science fair or you are a part of a home school organization, please contact the Region V MSEF coordinator, you are welcome to enter.
School Registration (due November 1, 2017)
Participants must have already placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in their category and class within their school or district level competition. The Upper Fair is divided into 4 competition classes: Grade 6, Class 3 – Grades 7 & 8, Class 4 – Grades 9 &10, and Class 5 – Grades 11 & 12
Upper Fair categories are:
- Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Animal Sciences
- Medicine and Health
- Physics and Astronomy
- Computer Science and Math
- Robotics and Intelligent Design
For an explanation of each category click here: Category Descriptions
Project Paperwork Prior to Experimentation
All projects for grades 6-12 require:
1.) A student registration form,
2.) An abstract form,
3.) Form 1,
4.) Form 1A,
5.) Form 1B (signature in Box 2a required for all)
6.) A research plan or summary.
Additional forms could be required due to the nature of the project. Please visit the Forms Wizard to determine if additional forms are needed (humans, biohazards, microorganisms (excluding yeast), harmful or hazardous activities, etc.) FORM & RULES WIZARD. or https://apps2.societyforscience.org/wizard/index.asp.
- ISEF Forms Link if needed: ISEF Forms
- ALL schools must have an SRC; IRBs are for those schools who allow student projects using vertebrates, potentially hazardous materials – including molds, and human subjects. IRB and SRC teams must be correctly listed. For information on the roles of these committees please check out: http://www.societyforscience.org/document.doc?id=38
- Remember that all paper work with the exception of the abstract and regional registration must be filled out prior to any experimentation!
Student Registration (due January 20, 2018)
Each Participant must submit:
1. Student Registration Form
- The registration fee of $30 per student will include a T-shirt and a table for set up. Schools may pay by school check.
- T-shirt will only be guaranteed if the student registration, paperwork and fee is received on or prior to January 20, 2018.
- Late Registration: An additional fee of $5 per student will be charged for late entries. An Upper Fair entry is considered late when it is received later than January 26, 2018.
- Late entries are limited and at the discretion of the Fair Director/Staff. No late entries will be allowed after Midnight January 26, 2016.
2. Abstract Form
- ALL PROJECT PAPERWORK MUST INCLUDE AN ABSTRACT. This should not exceed 250 words summarizing the project (not a research plan).
- The abstract must be submitted on the abstract form. Directions for writing an abstract can be found on the Resources drop box or on the abstract form.
3. All additional prior experimentation paperwork.
- In addition to the student registration form and the abstract form, all projects must have Forms 1, 1A, 1B, and a research plan.
- This must be faxed, emailed, or mailed by the due date of January 20, 2018.
- Addition Forms may be required due to the nature of the project. ISEF Forms, https://apps2.societyforscience.org/wizard/index.asp
- Awards will be given to the top three projects in each class for each category. These individuals and the Best of Fair/ISEF finalists (best overall) for grades 7-12 will move on to the MSEF State level competition at Jackson State University on April 5, 2018
- Additionally, special awards will be given for outstanding projects in many of the categories.
- Only grades 7-12 are eligible to progress to the State Level competition
- Best of Fair winners will represent the Region V MSEF at the International Science and Engineering Fair in Pittsburgh, PA May 13-18, 2018. All expenses for Region V ISEF State Finalists and Alternates will be covered by donors to the Region V MSEF program for travel to the International Science and Engineering Fair only.