The 2018 MSEF Region V Lower Fair will be held at the Humphrey Coliseum at Mississippi State University on April 10, 2018.
To participate in the Lower Fair, schools must register then students must complete necessary paperwork outlined in the following steps and forms. If you want to participate but your school does not host a science fair or you are a part of a home school organization, please contact the Region V MSEF coordinator, you are welcome to enter.
School Registration (due November 1, 2017)
Participants must have already placed in the top three of their academic grade for their science category and register with appropriate paperwork (see student registration below). Schools may send three students from each academic grade for each of the categories (ie. 3 students from 2nd grade in Botany, etc.). This results in a maximum total of 39 students from each grade. Students will present their work to the judges. Awards will be given for places K-5 for each grade in each category.
Lower Fair categories are:
- Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Earth and Environmental Science
- Animal Sciences
- Medicine and Health
- Physics and Astronomy
- Computer Science and Math
- Robotics and Intelligent Design
For a complete description of the categories click here: Category Descriptions
Determine if the project requires additional forms as these forms must be completed prior to experimentation.
- Minimum Requirements Include a Registration Form and an Abstract.
- Additional forms are required due to the nature of the project. Please visit the Forms Wizard to determine if additional forms are needed (humans, biohazards, microorganisms (excluding yeast), harmful or hazardous activities, etc.) FORM & RULES WIZARD. or copy and paste https://apps2.societyforscience.org/wizard/index.asp into the url box.
- ISEF Forms Link if needed: ISEF forms
- Remember that all paperwork with the exception of the abstract and student registration must be filled out prior to any experimentation.
- Failure to submit proper paperwork will result in disqualification.
Student Registration and Abstract (due February 28, 2018)
Minimum Requirements Include a Registration Form and an Abstract.
- 2018 Kindergarten Team Registration Form or online form
- 2018 Lower Fair Student Registration Form or online form
- The registration fee of $30 per student will include a T-shirt,table and chair for set up.
- T-shirts are only guaranteed if the student registration, paperwork and fee is received on or prior to February 28, 2018
- Only Kindergarten is allowed to have a team project.
- Late Registration: An additional fee of $5 per student will be charged for late entries.
- A Lower Fair entry is considered late when it is received later than February 28, 2018.
- Late entries are limited and at the discretion of the Fair Director/Staff and will not be allowed after midnight March 2, 2018.
- Projects that DO NOT involve human, animals, biohazards, etc. may be submitted by online registration or fax, email (scan), or mail to the Region V MSEF Coordinator.
- Projects that DO involve human, animals, biohazards, etc. MUST be submitted by fax, email (scan), or mail to the Region V MSEF Coordinator.
ATTENTION: All project registrations must include an abstract that is completed after all experimentation. This should not exceed 250 words summarizing the project (not a research plan). The abstract must be submitted on the abstract form. Directions for writing an abstract can be found on the Resources drop box.